Monday, March 7, 2011

Lemon-Cranberry Pound Cake

Today I have made my first Pound Cake.... similar to the pound cakes they sell in the coffee shops. My favourite is the lemon - poppy seeds one. But I didn't have poppy seeds, so I have used the cranberries. I don't think the cake will live to see tomorrow, so here are some pictures of it. The good news that I will be making more of these now....



Lemon - Cranberry Pound Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbspns dry cranberries
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large lemons
3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
1 1/2 plus 1/3 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 325F.
Combine flour, cranberries, baking powder, baking soda and salt. From lemons, grate 1 tbspn. peel and squeeze 3 tbspns. juice.
In large bowl mix butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar, beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in lemon peel and vanilla. Add in flour mixture with sour cream, beat just until smooth.
Bake until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean, 1 hour or less. Cool in pan for 10 min.
In small bowl, combine lemon juice and 1/3 cup sugar. With pastry brush, brush mixture over top and sides. Cool completely and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment