Saturday, April 14, 2012

Cocoa Buttermilk Biscuits

When I saw this recipe of cocoa biscuits, I had to make it!
It was a very delicious breakfast with strawberry Kefir!!!
  1. First I have prepared the buttermilk, by adding one teaspoon of lemon juice to one cup of milk and let it stand for 10 minutes. Since the recipe said 1 1/4 cups of buttermilk, I have used a little bit more of lemon juice.
  2. Mix all the dry ingredients such as: flour, cocoa, sugar, salt, baking powder and soda. Whisk until combined.
  3. Here is the 1 stick of unsalted butter cut in cubes.
  4. Drop it in the bowl with the rest of the dry ingredients. I have used my hands to brake the butter into the flour mix, until it looked like crumbles.


Drop in the buttermilk with vanilla, mix it with a spatula until just combined.


I have used the two wax sheets to roll the dough out. Less mess.


Cut the dough in the round shapes.


And here is the result.


The original recipe here had brown sugar cinnamon butter for the spread, I was out of organic butter.... so next time! You can either make the spread, very easy, or use the jam and any other available spread.



Cocoa Buttermilk Breakfast Biscuits with Brown Sugar Cinnamon Butter
makes 12-15 biscuits
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup brown sugar + 2 tablespoons
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold butter, cut into pieces
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, sugar, salt, baking powder and soda, and whisk until combined. Using a fork, pastry blender or your hands, add butter pieces to the flour and mix until coarse little crumbles remain. Add buttermilk and vanilla, stirring with a spoon until just combined, not overmixing. Use your hands if needed to bring the dough together.
Use  1/4 cup measure to drop batter onto a nonstick baking sheet, or press dough on a sheet of parchment paper or cutting board, then using a biscuit cutter to shape the dough into rounds. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until biscuits are set and slightly golden on the edges. 

4 comments:

  1. These look so good, I have to try them!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried it... including the butter! It's heavenly! Thanks for sharing it, honey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's me, Dana, testing my OpenID...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really! I loved this recipe too! I have to try the cinnamon butter next time.

    ReplyDelete